Forum / Submitting For Publication

• Image.thumb
    Ivan Reyes
    Jul 11, 07:37pm

So, I've read through all the rules regarding copyright and this website, but, unfortunately, am still at a bit of a loss for understanding. I went to submit a work to a magazine for their consideration, and it struck me that I had the story, 'Carolina Gruber', posted on here already, and with some kind comments made to it (much appreciation!!). Making a quick decision, I deleted the story from this site, and informed the magazine that the story was "published" here. I am only a novice writer, and more-novice at submitting work for publication.

To get to the heart of my query, Although I'm sure its perfectly legal, is it a bad idea to publish stories on this site? Does it rub publishers the wrong way? I apoligize if the answer to my question lies in some yet-pored section of this wonderful website.

PS. As a new member, its awful exciting to read all your stories. I'd like to participate more, read more, comment more, and I'm sure I will once I get the internet at HOME.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Jul 11, 08:01pm

Ivan, somewhere on the Forum, David Ackley ran a list of magazines that would accept work previously posted to f'naut. Dave ran that a few weeks ago, I think. If you scan this Forum, you will find the list.

• Image.thumb
    Ivan Reyes
    Jul 11, 08:10pm

Thank you, Susan! Found the list...

I'd like to edit my statement saying: is it a bad idea to publish stories on this site?... I meant to add, "before they have been submitted and considered for publication?"

• Nv_kid.thumb
    Ramon Collins
    Jul 11, 08:27pm

Fictionaught isn't a public site. Some e-zines don't consider stories posted on "password" sites (like Fn) or writers' workshops as published.

Check the e-zine's Submission Guidelines before submitting.

Susan Tepper
    Jul 11, 08:28pm

I understood that was what you meant, based on what else you wrote. Good Luck!

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Jul 12, 12:09am

hmmm... Ramon, fn is a password-protected site for those who contribute... BUT the entire world can see the front page. And click on the links and read the stories. So in my mind, fn is sort of a hybrid.

that said, the best policy is to read the policies of the litzine, and be upfront about whether you've 'pubbed' a piece here. Peace...

• Mrsoftee1.thumb
    Jim V
    Jul 12, 01:24am

Ivan, it's a bad idea to post a story here or anywhere the public can read it before it's published. I know Google picks up these stories. Many places consider any public showing of work to be "published," which after all means to make public.

A handful of ezines are cool with it. But there's no reason why you should handicap a piece of writing by limiting its publishing options. Just one opinion.

• Canada_usa_2011_002.thumb
    Christopher Allen
    Jul 12, 07:31am

Interestingly, Glimmer Train accepts stories that have been published on the internet. Every market has its own rules, so as several people have already said...always read the guidelines.

• Img_0568.thumb
    Gill Hoffs
    Jul 12, 05:18pm

To be honest, I find posting stories here thrilling, exhilarating, and freeing to a large extent. Apart from the insightful and usually supportive comments, and the wonderful sense of community, I see it as a unique platform for a wide variety of work to be read by other writers, editors, publishers, critics, and people who just enjoy reading for the sake of it.

Some pieces that I wasn't sure about, because for example they were unlike other pieces I've written, I've posted here to gauge reactions before using the uber helpful list of places that accept fn'd items to submit to. And limiting the number of places to submit to is actually a helpful thing for me personally, as I'm quite new to writing and this narrows my options to a manageable list of respected publications.

Since being on here I've been approached by a well-respected editor for a submission, which has been accepted for an international e-zine - yay!, and I've heard of some very interesting places to consider for my fn'd work.

Bear in mind what the others have said, especially about checking the guidelines, and most of all - have fun!

Good luck with the submissions,
    Gill

• Image.thumb
    Ivan Reyes
    Jul 12, 08:27pm

Hmmm...

I'd like to thank everyone for their helpful guidance and wonderful insight! I really feel like every response here contributed indespensibly to rounding out my rough ideas about the site. Honestly, every one. And also, the crazy world of publishing!

Gill, since you've so kindly shared your thoughts, I'll let you know, I agree!! I am a bit of a closet writer, and I've only shown my work on rare occasions, to close friends whom I knew would not shatter my ego... or, to random strangers met in bars who inexplicably (pleasantly surprising) don't get tired of my frantic drunken giberish regarding Steinbeck or Proust, and who also don't run away when I slap em with my email and yawn "And I'll really send you my story too!" I feel all those things when I publish here, recieve response, all you're words, I agree completely! I only wish to publish elsewhere because its a goal of mine (as was writing my first story) to publish in some specific places. Lofty goals, I may never reach. This site is not lesser in my book, its a whole new animal, one I'm enjoying immensely after waiting so long for an invite. Its my new barroom to enter, and hopefully swap some stories, and make some new, old friends.

Thanks again all. Most helpful!

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Jul 12, 11:10pm

Ivan, the only place I've had any problems because of possting on FN is some Print Only Magazines. As Christopher said Glimmertrain does not consider being pubbed online as being pubbed. Bless there little hearts, but many Print Lit Mags do. As everyone else has said just read the guidelines very carefully.

I agree with Gill 100%, but then I usually do, FN is a wonderful place to share, be encouraged, make new virtual friends and sometimes, feel really good about something you've written. . .

Susan Tepper
    Jul 13, 04:43pm

Ivan you can safely submit to "The David Ackley List" any story from Fictionaut. All those mags and zines have been checked and they are cool with it. Good Luck!

• You must log in to reply to this thread.