Most recent stories

Truth Or Consequence - 3

11341134 views44 comments11 fav

"What does it say about our political process when I could pick students at random out of any of my classes who would do better than the actual candidates. That scares me. What’s happening to people? How did we get here?”

77 Words About Nothing [5-24-2012]

885885 views88 comments22 favs

Alright is alright but alright is a state of mind, right?

Beaten

957957 views44 comments22 favs

I was sitting there drinking with Paul at the bar, and it was a Friday night and I was I was feelin good. I didn't have to go to work in the morning, and I had a few drinks and food in me, and I able to that on da cheap, which felt good. And Paul…

My Brother the Painter

10811081 views1111 comments1010 favs

My father bouncing his leg to slow rock music with me on one knee, telling me I should keep a special place in my heart for my teeth, to remember where I lose them, on the playground like he did when he was my age, fighting a friend named Bobby-Joe. Or else I could lose…

Confession

906906 views44 comments11 fav

It is not simple to love in two places, and I have always been a restless woman waiting for signs. Then you appeared walking on my very grave while the stars aligned themselves in patterns of celestial light. I have watched the moon eclipse with you drawing breath…

I Know You, Ladies and Gentlemen

843843 views22 comments22 favs

On my way home that first night, I stopped off at a liquor store on San Pablo Avenue and bought a semi-expensive ($2.98) bottle of zinfandel, a real luxury for us. But I figured I would have a paycheck coming and wanted to celebrate my getting a real jo

Saved

866866 views22 comments00 favs

I woke up pissed off—like that feeling you get when you take a long nap in the afternoon. Except instead of being on a couch or a bed, I was trapped in a mashed-up Honda on I-75.

The Full Moon is Inside Your House

13281328 views88 comments77 favs

When the full moon changes trajectory and comes close it pushes you to different gravitational fields

Truth Or Consequence - 2

10761076 views66 comments44 favs

. . . he wants to organize society into its most efficient configuration with everyone thinking alike and willingly cooperating. Only then, he believes, can humanity reach its full potential.

Spring Darkness In the Age of Video

823823 views11 comment33 favs

This spring darkness is winding around my neckin the age of video, how many times I've seen her at the zoowith your eyes, as if seeing for the first timeher early morning breath, tripping your woman, your angelas she arrived on the beach when it was still too dark to see…

The Caboose

539539 views00 comments00 favs

His throat still burned and his muscles ached but the codeine put it at a manageable distance. He sank into delicious sleep and was awakened some minutes later by a terrific jolt and the crash of metal.

Dog

11811181 views44 comments00 favs

I’m not the creative type like my friend Bosely, an Irish Setter. I’m a traditionalist. I like to eat exactly at 8:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. I take my bone with me everywhere I go. I will not carry the poop-bag.

Chicken Sexers Set to Go For Gold in London

659659 views22 comments11 fav

Green Ridge, Missouri features a horseshoe pit on the town square and not one but two full-time village idiots.

Building

11501150 views66 comments22 favs

he told me to be careful,my feet may bleedI watched him walk up and down the path,occasionally bendingwhy?carpenter nails, pieces of broken shinglesall along the pathnow I know why

You Knew It

901901 views55 comments55 favs

was only a small enough matter of time before you started to show up as new words like soft pink clues dropped inside tiny fingernail teacups to find their innermost meaning, then wishes, floating up near the top like…

Truth Or Consequence

12341234 views77 comments44 favs

Mass media thought control, from consumer advertising to political sloganeering, is creating a new generation of irrational thinkers. If this trend continues, one day soon we may find ourselves under the control of some genius gone haywire.

Anticipation

771771 views11 comment00 favs

Two minutes later Alicia Morgan stepped out of her car. Her smile faltered momentarily and he saw that she assumed the mistake was hers

Greyhound

11701170 views11 comment11 fav

Published in Exquisite CorpseI…

You're All Knuckles

10221022 views22 comments11 fav

Her eyeballs are made of fur, like plush little bumblebees at home in her sockets.

Maggie's Mayhem

11471147 views00 comments00 favs

Tonight was no remarkable night. The sun rose and set without question, children’s hearts broke with truth, around the world millions of people lost someone they cared about, millions people fell in love. It was an average day—it was unremarkable. It w

The Way it Ought to Be

815815 views22 comments11 fav

a rug burn tragedy.

One Night Stand with the Birthday Girl Near Lincoln Park Before Leaving on my “Honeymoon”

677677 views22 comments00 favs

Terry marked each spot where we did it with a red “X” on this map she had taken from my dad's gas station. In those days gas stations gave out maps for free.

Drunken Terrorists Act

728728 views99 comments44 favs

They asked each other at Court-suggested AA meetings: What can Texas do but throw us in jails already packed with low-life scum?

Mama Loves Birds

11431143 views1717 comments88 favs

Mama loves birds but is afraid to fly.

The Legacy

11741174 views22 comments22 favs

The old man had always known things, was feared and revered up and down the valley for knowing things. I’d heard the stories since the day I was born.

Where it is Warm, in memory of Jean Craighead George

763763 views11 comment11 fav

Michael remembered when he would lay awake at night as a child and in his mind escape to the woods.

Departures

995995 views22 comments11 fav

Abigail dragged the monkey Nathanial, her favorite plush toy, in the red dust as her parents moved crummy looking cardboard boxes from the house into the back of the custard colored Winnebago. This wasn't the first time she had ever seen a Winnebago; her friend…

Bird's Eye View

838838 views22 comments11 fav

seven birds on the wire turn in unison to the right

Blue Dresses

925925 views00 comments11 fav

It makes me feel like a dirty old man: adorning Celia, Making an offering of my blue dresses, adorning Celia.

The Dummy Drop

803803 views22 comments00 favs

I looked at my now silent cell phone feeling like an idiot. Thad was standing next to me, that shit eating grin plastered on his face like gravy stains on an old shirt."So Genius Jones, what the fuck did he say to you?" asked Thad, sarcasm dripping onto the floor. "She blew…