PDF

The Strange Ones


by Jack Swenson


The next morning I stood in the hallway outside of her bathroom watching her brush her hair. She was naked as a newborn. "I need somebody to love me,” she said. “I need somebody to carry me home." She was a frail beauty, a foundling, a girl of the streets. She had nowhere else to go. That evening we drank wine in the living room, and my wife told the youngster about my “stable.” I went to bed and dreamed about a girl half my age showing me her wedding ring. In the morning, I lay on my side and ran a finger down the girl's back, lightly tracing her spine. I remarked on the whiteness of her skin.

section break

“It's not the end of the world,” I said. “Maybe you should talk to your psychiatrist,” my wife replied. We stood apart looking out at the reflection of a red sun on the mirror surface of the water, and I thought to myself, this is what my ancestors saw. Same trees, same lake.

section break

Later we sat outside and talked about some mutual friends whom we hadn't seen in quite a while. I asked my wife if Barney was still in love with the preacher's wife. I looked up at the summer sky, at puffy clouds floating slowly inland, and I remembered another day some years before on a blanket up the hill from a cabin in the foothills under a sky that was a brighter blue. My wife got up and went inside. California was a nice place to live, she said, but it was a bit nippy on the western edge. I picked up a pencil and began to write my epitaph.

Endcap