Forum / The Brand New, Up to the Minute Updated List of Fictionaut-Friendly E-Zines

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Apr 25, 07:11pm

When I first put together this list, only a few months ago, there were six. Now there are 27! Thanks to everyone who contributed updated info( jellybeans to all)especially Marcus who came up with another six on his own.

So if you want to submit work that's previously appeared on Fictionaut, here's your rich list of possibilities:

The Linnet's Wings
    Ramshackle Review
    Metazen
    Pank
    Elimae
    JMWW
    The Istanbul Literary Review
    Litsnack
    Women Writers: A Zine
    Experimental Review
    Divine Dirt Quarterly
    Ocho
    Blip
    Like Birds Lit
    4'33"
    Whale Sound
    Qarrtsiluni
    Rumpus
    Glass Coin
    Used Furniture Review
    Pure Slush
    Thunderclap
    Camroc Press Review
    Up the Staircase Quarterly
    SAND
    Fwriction: Review
    Train Write

Apologies to any I may have overlooked; please add the names if you know of them or others.

Thanks

david

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Apr 25, 08:25pm

David, thanks for putting this together.

• 100722-183348.thumb
    Neil Serven
    Apr 25, 08:58pm

Very useful. Thanks.

• Portrait_color_clip.thumb
    Danny Goodman
    Apr 26, 03:26pm

Thanks, David. Love this.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jun 25, 03:19pm

One more time,the famous fictionaut friendly list of open-hearted editors.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jun 25, 03:21pm

p.s. Hi Jurgen,
    If you're listening, wouldn't it be handy to have this list accessible by a tab?

best

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Jun 25, 03:38pm

THIS Literary Magazine is also open to work posted on personal blogs and at Fictionaut. Thanks for this list, David. Nice job.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Jun 25, 04:03pm

Wow, this is great!

• Swan.thumb
    Roberta
    Jun 25, 04:41pm

fantastic, thank you for bumping this up, david.

• Swan.thumb
    Roberta
    Jun 25, 04:54pm

also:

'up the staircase'

plus 'the clockwise cat,' 'ink, sweat, and tears' and 'sein und werden' are open to publishing reprints in general. though obv with proviso that you mention that it's previously pubbed and give details of when and where.

...and i -think- 'prick of the spindle' okayed submissions of previously fnauted work - but that one should be double-checked (it's a while ago i asked the question. though i'm fairly certain that's the answer i received.)

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jun 25, 05:32pm

David's a fine fellow for doing this. He's a fine fellow anyway. Thanks.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jun 25, 07:07pm

Thanks Joanie and Roberta for the additions.

How could I have missed 'THIS' literary magazine???Which published a piece of mine ( "under the skin" if you'll excuse the plug) under these very circumstances two months past.

The list grows on.

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Jun 25, 07:56pm

David, do so appreciate the updated list of E-Zines. Does any one out there have a list of Print Only Lit Mags that will consider FN offerings?

• Picture_1.thumb
    Barry Friesen
    Jun 26, 08:02pm

Mar, that's an excellent suggestion. I'm happy to promise on behalf of David that he will do that for us promptly. As James says, he's a fine fellow, and works for jellybeans. Thanks in advance, David. :)

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Jun 26, 08:15pm

A great list, David, thanks! I think Trailer Park Quarterly is also FN friendly.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jun 27, 08:36pm

Thanks, Barry. I'll get right on it, as soon as I finish washing your car....You did say there were jelly beans involved?

• Picture_1.thumb
    Barry Friesen
    Jun 27, 09:31pm

You missed a spot, so that will cost you two grape jellybeans, which taste the best. But there are extra horrible lemon yellows and disgusting pinks, if you will please just get the litmags to own what they actually want, in lieu of their encoded persiflage for I don't know what art is, but I know what I like. Get on that, will you? It's overdue. If you can actually get them to take a position, you get the BLACK jellybeans, the VERY best. Plus, about the foot massage thing, look, you may have a bias against pinkies, but they need attention, too. Are you toeist? That well-known New Hampshire discrimination against toes of lesser order?

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jun 28, 12:32am

My revered pal, John Baskin, said once( and for all time, as far as I'm concerned) "I know a lot about art, but I don't know what I like." That may be true of the um people(trying to be civil here) of whom you speak, Barry.

Still, I think there's hope: show them the thing they didn't know they liked until they saw it( having never seen its like before) and the walls come crumbling down.

As for your disgusting attempts at bribery, and your repulsive fetishist appeals, I'm surprised: I didn't think I was that transparent.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Jun 28, 01:50am

I have never liked jelly beans. but I will work for M&M's

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Jun 28, 03:07am

David, If you live someplace by the Atlantic Ocean I will personally come and help you put that list together. . .Susan, Susan, Susan, for shame, you hussy. . .actually I only work for cheesecake and of course an all expenses paid holiday in the Hamptons or even South Wellfleet.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jul 23, 11:39pm

Not so up to date, anymore but in answer to a request I'm reposting this list for those who might think that posting something on Fictionaut is an automatic death sentence for having it published in a magazine.

In fact, unless a magazine says specifically in its guidelines that it will not accept work published in blogs or self-published online , I assume it means they'll consider such works.

So far, that assumption has held.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jul 23, 11:41pm

And to the list, add "Prick of the Spindle," and "Thrice ."

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Jul 23, 11:56pm

Thank you. This is fantastic!

• Me.thumb
    Steven Gowin
    Jul 24, 01:00am

I just discovered this. I think from something I saw from Gloria Garfunkel. Thanks.

• -5.thumb
    RW Spryszak
    Jul 24, 02:05am

Thanks for adding Thrice, David. Yes indeed. The writers at Fictionaut have granted our magazine a substantial part of its very definition.

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Jul 24, 03:44am

This list is inspiriting. Thanks for reposting, David.

• Robin Graham
    Jul 24, 05:58am

What a fantastic idea! Many thanks for this.

• Robin Graham
    Jul 24, 05:58am

What a fantastic idea! Many thanks for this.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Aug 30, 06:51pm

In another forum posting today( I think) someone mentions this list together with the suggestion that it be added to the list of info for new writers to Fictionaut which now perennially tops the Forum. I, of course, think that would be a good idea, particularly since it would save me hunting through and reposting it every time someone asks for it--which is about once a month.

Carson? Jurgen? Guys?

• Picture_1.thumb
    Barry Friesen
    Aug 30, 08:09pm

Thank you, David. You earned another jelly bean.

• Picture_1.thumb
    Barry Friesen
    Sep 01, 04:41pm

• Picture_1.thumb
    Barry Friesen
    Sep 02, 10:34am

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Sep 02, 01:39pm

Ha!

• Picture_1.thumb
    Barry Friesen
    Sep 02, 04:04pm

(Trying to squeeze your list into that primer note, David. Get it as close as possible, anyway. Bump.)

• Jolly%20roger.thumb
    Michael Gillan Maxwell
    Sep 16, 04:02pm

Thanks so much for this! Very much appreciated!

• Jolly%20roger.thumb
    Michael Gillan Maxwell
    Sep 16, 04:08pm

I guess I had started to feel (as David put it) that it was "an automatic death sentence" for any piece I put up on Ficitonaut, which is why I don't have anything up on Fictionaut at the moment. However, this list and the thread on the forum about the definition of "publishing" has once again helped liberate my thinking, and that feels good!

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Nov 08, 02:58pm

Bringing this back for the second request this month.

Ann Bogle
    Nov 08, 09:39pm

Note the fine quality of these publications as well as their openness to representing writing previewed at Fictionaut. Quality and adventurous spirit hand-in-hand.

Women Writers: a Zine has ceased publication, alas, but you can still read the featured stories of women flash writers I met via Fictionaut!

http://womenwriters.net/creative/newfiction.htm

• Updated_bio.thumb
    James Claffey
    Nov 08, 10:10pm

whale sound and like birds lit are defunct i believe.

• H.thumb
    Sarah Sassone
    Nov 09, 11:55pm

Everest Magazine is also accepting submissions:

www.everest.nine-birds.com

We're brand new (I work for the magazine), and our deadline is December 15.

• Frankie Saxx
    Nov 10, 08:04pm

Bad Robot Poetry didn't mind.

• Tinabarry.thumb
    Tina Barry
    Nov 11, 08:03pm

Elimae published its last issue this month; Ramshackle Review and Litsnack are long gone too.

Robert Vaughan
    Nov 11, 10:26pm

Also, Thunderclap has retired too, I am sorry to say!

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Nov 15, 07:12pm

Regret the recent casualties, as noted above.

On a brighter note I wanted to add the estimable "Bartleby Snopes," which lets me know they'll accept works previously appearing on Fictionaut, providing they have been taken down before submitting. This because they regard Fictionaut as a "community of writers."

Well, yeah.

• Jane.thumb
    Jane Flett
    Feb 27, 07:00pm

Bump. Just because I'm always looking.

• Dsc_7543.thumb
    Gloria Garfunkel
    Feb 28, 01:14pm

Very helpful. I think Ocho is gone.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Feb 28, 03:10pm

By now a neither very new, nor recently updated list, but probably better than nothing. Anyone inclined is welcome to prune, add, or otherwise improve. Be aware, as the above shows that the mortality rate among online magazines in general is pretty high and any such list will tend to get piecemeal over time. Still, the point remains that there are magazines out there that will take work you've previously shown on Fictionaut. If you find any not listed here, pass the word if you would.

Thanks.

• Image.thumb
    Charlotte Hamrick
    Mar 01, 09:50pm

Good to know! It's frustrating looking for zines that allow previously published work, even if it's only been on your own website.

Robert Vaughan
    Mar 01, 10:49pm

Lost in Thought can be added to this list and our latest issue, #4, is hot off the press:

http://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/516125?__r=136080

This issue has plenty of great writers in it, including: Linda Simoni-Wastila, Josh Denslow, Harley May, Michael Maxwell, Bud Smith, Gregory Sherl, Jen Knox, Kristine Ong Muslim, Gloria Mindock, Pamela Davis, Tina Barry, Loren Moreno, Mathieu Callier, Michael Seidel and Jules Archer.

And here is our web-site: http://www.lostinthoughtmag.com/.

• Frankie Saxx
    Mar 13, 07:17pm

Made a group and listed all the still active journals in this thread:

http://fictionaut.com/groups/fictionaut-friendly

Thought it might be an easier way of maintaining the list and helping people find it.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Mar 13, 08:29pm

What a better idea! Thanks, Frankie!

Ann Bogle
    Dec 11, 04:31pm

Found this thread. 12-11-13, AMB

• You must log in to reply to this thread.