Forum / Norman Klein, Poet and Fictionauter

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jan 18, 03:56pm

Norm was a dear friend who died a few days ago. I invited him onto Fictionaut years ago, when you could still invite people, and he posted a couple of stories of recent vintage.He was a gifted poet, a graduate of the Iowa Writer's Workshop, and an early member of the Ploughshare's crowd, and some of his early work appeared there. He taught writing at Simmon's College, and since I was then teaching in somewhat more raffish circumstances in an alternative college in far Northern New Hampshire, I remember feeling of raw envy when he invited me to read to his class of adoring, fresh-faced students as compared to the congenital rebels I was dealing with. He taught poetry in the schools, and made a smashing appearance with the younger lot at a children's literature festival Ann and Liz McLaughlin ran during the summers at my college.

In both our cases, the matter of making a living took us in other directions, but in later life both he and I were able to resume our chosen work and exchange pieces and reactions. Even as he began to decline, he was still active in his writing group in southern New Hampshire and published a collection of poems and stories called "Red Hair."

Today, in his memory, I'll publish one of his poems on the story page. And invite you to read it and links to his other pieces below as well as my poem for him, "whispered boat."

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jan 18, 03:59pm
  • Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jan 18, 04:00pm
  • Angelcity1.thumb
    Chris Okum
    Jan 18, 10:39pm

That's a wonderful way to pay tribute, David. Sorry for your loss.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jan 19, 02:49pm

Thanks Chris.

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Jan 19, 10:33pm

Read the piece and commented. Thanks for remembering him and honoring his poetry.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jan 20, 02:43pm

What I'd 'd hoped for Daryl, thanks.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.