Forum / New lit & arts zine: Ramshackle Review

• 0388e1260hbw.thumb
    Mark Reep
    Aug 01, 08:11pm

Hey, everyone- I've taken the plunge, launched a new lit & arts zine, Ramshackle Review. Shoestring budget, hosted (for now at least) on blogger, but we're ambitious, and looking to share a range of work with the widest audience we can reach. We're looking for flash, micro, shorts, poetry, more. Specifics at our Duotrope listing:

http://duotrope.com/market_4886.aspx

http://ramshacklereview.blogspot.com/

Friend us on Facebook, and email:
    ramshacklereview (at) gmail (dot) com.

Thanks!

Mark Reep

• 0804d24.thumb
    Matthew A. Hamilton
    Aug 01, 10:34pm

Congratulations! I'll check it out.

-Matthew

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Aug 02, 01:56am

Mark, good for you and best of luck! Catchy name for the zine

• Pub%20bio%20pic.thumb
    Cherise Wolas
    Aug 02, 08:19am

Congrats Mark! That's great, and I love the name too!

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Aug 02, 03:17pm

Wonderful, Mark. Splendid, even. I wish you success.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Aug 02, 06:29pm

Cool new venue -- thanks for telling us. Love the look. Peace...

• 0804d24.thumb
    Matthew A. Hamilton
    Aug 03, 06:47pm

Question about submissions:

Please explain: "We like work that is not readily categorized. We are also interested in process, and encourage the inclusion of related comments with your submission."

Thank you

• 0388e1260hbw.thumb
    Mark Reep
    Aug 04, 12:33pm

Thanks, guys. Initial response has exceeded our expectations; big thanks to Sheldon Lee Compton, Stephanie Austin, Bill Yarrow, Darryl Price, Jerry Ratch, Howie Good, Ernest Williamson III, L. Ward Abel, William Doreski for allowing Ramshackle the opportunity to publish their work. We're honored, and will do our best to do it justice.

As to 'work that is not readily categorized'- that's our admittedly ineffective way of trying to say, among other things, that we dislike labels and the boxes stories get shoved into. Lit, noir, crime, romance, surreal, humor- Why shouldn't a piece be more than one of those? Many if not most we like are. Hope that clarifies at least somewhat.

We also intend Ramshackle to be at least in part about about process as well as result. In our experience, it seems no matter the form or media, something of another artist's approach, way of working etc always translates, becomes useful, inspiring.

Not all of us are into talking or writing about where a story or poem or image came from, how it came about, etc; we'd rather let the result speak for itself, and that's fine too. But we hope to run at least one piece per issue featuring an introduction, interview, or whatever comments the contributor would like to share. As Meg says, we can all learn from each other, and should.

Thanks again to everyone who's submitted, and please consider informing duotrope of our response times if you can.

• Img_0741.thumb
    See ya
    Aug 04, 01:07pm

A big thanks to you, Mark, and a well-deserved hell yeah for embarking on the process of sharing writer's work with others.

It's always exciting when that happens.

Ramshackle Review, Ramshackle Review! I say again, Ramshackle Review!

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Aug 04, 02:32pm

Hey there, Ramshackle, welcome to the block.

What's your take on publishing material that's appeared on Fictionaut? Inquiring minds and all that... ( See nearby thread
    " List of magazines publishing stuff from Fictionaut...")

• 0388e1260hbw.thumb
    Mark Reep
    Aug 04, 08:50pm

Thank you, Sheldon. I've loved that piece since I first read it, and I'm honored. Bloggerwrangling now to try and present everyone's work in a layout that serves it well.

David, we are entirely open to publishing work that's appeared on Fictionaut, and hope Sheldon's and Stephanie's will be the first of many. And thanks for reminding me to add Ramshackle to that thread.

• Fictionaut.thumb
    Meg Pokrass
    Aug 06, 04:14pm

Very cool! How great, Mark!

• 0388e1260hbw.thumb
    Mark Reep
    Aug 06, 05:49pm

Thanks, Meg!

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Aug 07, 01:54am

Mark thanks for taking my story for Ramshackle, I am honored

• With_ted_3.thumb
    Bill Yarrow
    Aug 07, 09:58am

Looking forward to appearing in Ramshackle. Feel honored as well. Thanks, Mark!

• 0388e1260hbw.thumb
    Mark Reep
    Aug 09, 04:57pm

Susan, Bill- The honor's ours. It's exciting to be able to include your work in our first issue!

• Dsc_0162.thumb
    Michelle Elvy
    Aug 15, 01:26am

That is cool! Will be on the lookout for this one!

• You must log in to reply to this thread.