Most recent stories

The Guru

491491 views11 comment00 favs

He was journeying toward understanding of a higher truth so long lost.

Word Fish

11481148 views44 comments22 favs

Looking with his ears, Hearing with his eyes, Not really mute, he simply didn't know how to speak.One word, then another string together,a crack spreads across an ice covered lake. Now there is an open channel, and his thoughts roil the…

Mercy Mercy Mercy

11761176 views1717 comments88 favs

When I was young and self-born in religion my aunts, uninterested in being washed in the Blood of Christ, called me Preacher Boy. I didn't pay them any attention. It was fine by me, I said, if they wanted to sit around and paint their toenails . . .

And the fucking black dress.

12041204 views22 comments22 favs

The fucking black dress; the fucking black dress that obfuscates whether or not you're pretty in the face, that obfuscates the sound of your voice, that obfuscates the color of your hair, your eyez, your skin,

DIGGING

10271027 views1515 comments77 favs

The steady sound of shoveling for the past three hours would have woken her, should have made her come to the window...

Ice Bar

12801280 views1212 comments55 favs

I can’t stop looking at the burly man to my left with the blue lips and three-inch mustache. He orders his fourth whiskey. He laughs at my melancholy like it was a flat thing--a dead animal to strip of its fur. Why be melancholic when you can float on whi

Sauna

10461046 views66 comments00 favs

The arid paramour, your breath is hot, dry, cedar. I sweat you corpus fluids and salt and the unnamably impure.

The Summer They Walked On the Moon

699699 views22 comments00 favs

That summer I fucked Kathi R. from Wheaton, as much as I could. She called me Professor Obsessor. She was short and practically without tits, but must have had the longest arms, because she could somehow reach down around my ass while I was on top and she

Take Two Llamas and Call Me in the Morning

899899 views44 comments22 favs

A Massachusetts nursing home that doesn’t believe in antipsychotic drugs uses a llama named Travis to calm patients.

Vasilissa the Brave and Beautiful

10401040 views11 comment11 fav

When the dust cleared, she saw him, standing silently, bow and arrow in his left hand. His face was the same as her middle brother's, broad and handsome, his dark eyes slits for light. This was her father. …

Throw

24542454 views3333 comments3131 favs

She was a dead bird the morning I found her, wings clipped in dirt and blood vanished into tiny braille maps on concrete.

77 Words About Nothing [5-01-12]

909909 views22 comments11 fav

You looked innocent and I was the epitome of just that …

::HARD (excerpt)

12201220 views11 comment22 favs

It wasn’t funny. It wasn’t scary. It wasn’t great. And it never is with people. Except..eventually..when you meet the right person..it is.

Having Read the Poems of Matt Dennison

13621362 views77 comments33 favs

Having read the poetry of Dennison I hereby give up writing.

Bananas

764764 views00 comments00 favs

Dog winged the monkey's gerdonderplonk just past ceremony. Winkle-wizzened water garglers awoke wanderjanked while apple-gated confederates slept on. Rusty pipe smack-down cancelled water lily gumbo's two o'clock and Patsy sang Crazy for the millionth time.…

Drunk and Driving the Family Home

877877 views22 comments22 favs

I felt like-

Last Token of the New York Doll

10481048 views11 comment11 fav

I took four of them, and put on “Heroin” by the Velvet Underground, and sat in the bathtub, filling it with warm water. Submerging myself, I watched the water level dance in front of me, listening to Lou Reed wail, dragging him under the water level.

'My Mother Was My Sister' — Rejection Letter to a Young Writer (Memoir)

13021302 views44 comments44 favs

When I was 10 or 11, some people thought that my father was my grandfather, that my brother was my father, and that my mother was my sister!

'With All Due Respect . . . '

13141314 views00 comments00 favs

Our deepest, most heartfelt apologies about the recent MySpace Bulletin, which mentioned your name and recent film and quoted you in jest. Your fifteen-page retalitory riposte was received by this office this morning, via fax sent by your assistant.

The Death App

15301530 views99 comments66 favs

The phone owner pre-writes his or her dying words! The app stores them and releases them at the moment of his death!

When The Conversation Ends

11121112 views22 comments11 fav

It was a strange mood, unfamiliar, not one of her usual “I'm busy wrestling with my personal demons” type of moods. She'd been steeped in it all day and I, like a shipwrecked victim reaching out for any piece of flotsam…

Moony Star Moony Star

12011201 views44 comments22 favs

a lost children…

AK (excerpt)

12211221 views33 comments33 favs

They said AK, AK, if you want to come here, if you want to come to Antioch, you have to bring your A+ game. If you want to run with the big boys. That’s what they said. So I brought my A+ game.

Summer

10621062 views44 comments33 favs

for my father I want to memorize this our time together — what we did without her there to tell me You wouldn't want this life you're not cut out for it — and me the child…

Party in Sierra Madre Canyon

684684 views22 comments11 fav

“You’re just like me,” she said, as dawn was breaking. “You like sex.”

Slanting Rain

19161916 views2020 comments1111 favs

...falling into that breathing abyss, and she can feel her heart pounding against it. A falling and falling that’s never ending. Frightening. How hard the thump will be if ever she lands. The darkness continues to breathe all around her.

Show Talk

730730 views22 comments11 fav

Do you mind if we cut the attack on the settlers, asked Sitting Bull. But that’s the center attraction, said Buffalo Bill. Everyone expects it. But it’s a lie, a gross misrepresentation, said Sitting Bull. I feel like I am endorsing a great fraud.

Rib Songs

803803 views55 comments33 favs

A thrum of imminent sentience-

Standing in Line for Pac Man

10361036 views22 comments22 favs

Sitting on the couch when we got cable television, on that first day. Pressing buttons that sounded like the slap that your attention span would take as you made your way through the twenty, thirty, forty channels. As you grew older, the amount of channel

The Narrow Confines of Existence

848848 views00 comments00 favs

It seems like that is all I really knowThe narrow confines of my existenceThe sun rises and falls somewhere,And all living things, move, work struggle and fightCarrying a bucket of water, while the sunBangs the day's rhythm on my armsThere's a war going on, all the…