PDF

Chewie and R2D2


by Smiley McGrouchpants, Jr-Esq-III



                  The door was locked.
                  Han Solo couldn't believe it. After they'd come all this way!
                  But, I'm getting ahead of myself.

                  Han had been eyeing this caper for a long while. I was struggling to write it all down and not make it obvious.
                  He caught me once. He asked me what I was doing. I said, “Just trying to get down all of the ongoing Star Wars saga.”
                  He laughed. “Star Wars? What's that?” Then he eyed me suspiciously.
                  “What's your story . . . ?”

                  “No, really,” he said, cocking his foot up on the bench where I was sitting at a jaunty angle. “I'm not suspicious or anything . . . ” He seemed to have let it drop for the most part, although he was still a little wary. “What do you . . . do there — ” nodding his head at my book, the way people do, when they try to address it as a “thing” like digging ditches.
                  “Well, I'm . . . Well, I'm — ” I started to stammer like all artistic types whose ideas are all over the place.
                  He just looked at me.
                  “I'm just, just . . . stowing cargo!” I said.
                  He laughed.
                  “Oh, I know all about that!” he said. It seemed an apt metaphor.
                  He scrutinized me again.
                  “Just be sure to give me credit . . . ”
                  The intercom blared. Chewie howled something.
                  “Good God!” Han said, taking his leave of me with a practiced swagger intended to get him up to the bridge at as fast a clip as possible.
                  We were on our way again!
                  Yippee.

                  “Chewie, I need you up here on the bridge,” Han said into the intercom once we'd arrived. I held my pen and notebook against my chest.
                  “Whee-woo-wooo-woo!” R2D2 gurgled through the line, instead. Han looked speechless.
                  “I can't understand what he's saying! Chewie!”
                  Then the ship got rocked like it just got hit by a giant asteroid, everything keeling over.
                  I lost my grip on my pen and notebook.
                  Things after that are kinda hazy.

                                                            THE END
Endcap