Forum / climatology news

• Photo_00020.thumb
    strannikov
    Feb 18, 01:32pm

As I've professed and confessed and continue to say, I don't think of moi as, or feel myself to be, an "environmentalist". That said, I am no denialist when it comes to my surveys of climatological sciences (atmospherics, biospherics, cryospherics, hydrospherics, lithospherics) nor am I any kind of "climate eschatologist".

My last posted work here @ Fictionaut regarding climatology dates from the first half of August 2021, that is, "A Measure of How Far Behind We Are . . .".

In that informal essay I quoted from a talented climate scientist, Stefan Rahmstorf, who was cited almost twenty years ago for his comments on the sciences behind and the dramatic depiction of climatological outcomes in the SF film The Day After Tomorrow. (Refer to my piece or to the Wikipedia account of the film that I quoted.)

The Atlantic Meridional Overturning Current is back in the news this month (Feb 2024) owing to a new study conducted by Danish physicists employing a refined analysis of available data. Rahmstorf himself assesses their newly published study here:

https://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2024/02/new-study-suggests-the-atlantic-overturning-circulation-amoc-is-on-tipping-course/

As Rahmstorf has intimated more than twice across his career, an AMOC disruption is not a thing to be wished for on a good day or on a bad day. --and yet, in spite of his assessment from 2004 (see his comments about the film), the data today seem to have begun to overtake his earlier view: a mere twenty years after delivering those comments, the available data and their analyses already suggest that the AMOC could face disruption within the next decade--NOT the postponement by an entire century as it seemed both to Rahmstorf and to the science consensus of c. 2004.

If events are overtaking the experts this quickly, it is hardly too early for mere mortals to begin to wonder how quickly our own views are susceptible to being overtaken.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.