Most recent stories

Cleveland Clinic

11551155 views22 comments11 fav

Allie didn't share that moment with Jim. That moment he spoke about whenever they made new friends as a couple— that moment he planned to recount at their engagement party.

Deviance

874874 views22 comments11 fav

I tried to enlighten them. For my trouble, they tried to have me deprogrammed. I condemned their narrowness of mind; they pitied me my naiveté. I ridiculed their religious bourgeois complacency, but they really didn’t know what I was talking about.

A Plea for Artists to Be Activists for Women’s Rights: Don’t Explain

15491549 views88 comments55 favs

When I feel the sort of longing that sneaks up on me unawares, the sort held for the wrong kind of person that can make a woman clutch her heart in the night and sullies her blood with unwanted dreams in a thinking person's landscape, I hear, too, the deep…

As Many Will Fall

12311231 views88 comments77 favs

tumbling for you from afar as close-up. They will rewrite your dancing form like a proper magical spell on all their maddest days, using the branches of cherished trees dipped into the trapped wells of certain hosts of …

What Momma Draws on Windows

857857 views55 comments11 fav

...the woman of the sun, twelve stars around her head, the moon at her feet.

The One-Dollar Minister

771771 views22 comments11 fav

The man could be a total brute, though the truth was he had the softest of hearts too. A real gentle giant. But get him going on a drunk jag with too much ouzo in his system, and look out.

Hush

936936 views44 comments33 favs

You think you are a perpetual motion machine, free of thermodynamic law. I’m telling you, you’re wrong.

Genealogy

11021102 views88 comments77 favs

You are an heiress to drunks. The statues of your forefathers stagger, memorialized by gravity, their faces half-lit eternally, as they reach into refrigerators for another something to keep away the cold empty.

Cranshaw on the Road / Chapel Access

14201420 views1717 comments1616 favs

"Why so ornery?" she asked.

Days of Future, Past

610610 views00 comments11 fav

Though bleached white as snow,/ Eric Cantor’s teeth broke/ much as any others would

Light Shot Water

14051405 views99 comments44 favs

Where I grew up, you did not venture casually into ocean waters.

Luminous Nights, 9

621621 views00 comments00 favs

Both of us agreed we needed to break up, and have some time apart before we ended up killing each other. Before Robbie left Chicago to begin classes out in California, he made a promise to me — that he intended one day to return and marry me. He sai

Free As A Bird

914914 views44 comments22 favs

The cell was crowded, barely enough room to swing a cat.

Daddy Walked the Pits

22392239 views2323 comments1919 favs

Seems like the tar just got hold of Daddy somehow. What is it about asphalt and a man?

IRS Tries Eunuchs for Tough Tax Collection Cases

578578 views00 comments00 favs

“I’ve seized a family’s satellite dish, I’ve put a lien on a guy’s blue tick hound–everything,” Suggins says with a laugh.

The Floating Dock

918918 views11 comment11 fav

Charley carried the corpse over to the dinghy and tossed it into the pool of rain water collected inside. The headless snake swerved through the water, oblivious to its fate, powered perhaps by exposed nerves and muscle memory.

Even The Air Has Fingers

534534 views11 comment00 favs

Fingers amaze me. They uncoil from a fist into a star of infinite capacity.

77 Words About Nothing (4.05.2012)

931931 views00 comments00 favs

I sold my ego to pay a parking ticket. And then I wrote 77 words about mental health.

Ambient

752752 views00 comments00 favs

I try to make conversation by showing her the washing instructions for the jeans I just bought for $375.00. She reads slowly. “What, do they assume you live in Australia or something?”

Still

770770 views33 comments00 favs

I wanted only to be still, to become a rustle for a moment of papery fall leaves sighing past one another on their way to the funeral pyre in the front lawn, sweetly fragrant with the scent of death and inevitable decline, fearless in their annihilation, incandescent…

Right Now You're Being So Sloshed{revisited}

476476 views22 comments22 favs

amongst the other gentlygathering flotsam up against my internal dictionary's borders. Doesn't matter much if the deed is life rushing itself through a tube that poured us out together like this, or just mutual need that…

15 Restatements

10261026 views55 comments33 favs

I arrange 15 restatements of how lovely you are forward then backward, horizontally then vertically then along the diagonals.

Cactus

19091909 views2626 comments2323 favs

I counted telephone poles and the seconds between them. The old highway cut straight through the sand and it seemed the road would never end. No curves. No hills. Just poles.

Rules, Laws, and Restrictions: The New Society

651651 views44 comments11 fav

#1. No chocolate or dessert ads of any kind after 8 p.m. #2. No names such as Wild Ferret, Backhoe, or Bunny Bacon allowed on the internet after hours. #3. No Smoky Motor Cars It’s the New Society. All will be well, after dark. Remember, only the

Brussegem, a snug hell (novel excerpt)

952952 views00 comments00 favs

Long ago, this painter Brussegem had hung the dark mantle of Outcast Artist” over his shoulders—and over his life, he formed a strict philosophy—Art and Only Art—and protected his solitude and artistry with all his moody might,....

Why I Don't Write Sex Scenes Anymore

15321532 views1111 comments99 favs

I’ve had my face talked off by those types (and I’m sure you’ve met a few) who need to say and hear “special” words, and they go "unh-hunh, unh-hunh, o yeah, o yeah, unh hunh."

The Judger

11591159 views44 comments22 favs

Better not hand me that iPhone. I'll look up every damned thing in it.

The Confounded

774774 views22 comments11 fav

Your left hand cups your balls which are drawn up tight under a turgid fireplug cock. Your right hovers over your temple, thumb cocked at the cheek. Your eyes are dreamy, mouth wry, chest and belly furry and fat. You're a picture in a file on my desktop on which…

How to Pass among Mortals

10571057 views99 comments44 favs

Take no form or face beautiful enough to cause warfare, or that which would provoke inanimate objects to song. If a tree wishes to flower in your presence, request that this happen very slowly.

Luminous Nights, 8

800800 views22 comments00 favs

Overnight Robbie had lost his youth. But since he was still only nine and his arm looked like a nine-year-old's arm, people didn't notice much at first, until he tried running. Or if he was introduced, and they went to shake his hand. He immediately lea